Dear Alberta Parents/New/Expecting/Hopeful and Non Parents, Grandparents, Aunties/Uncles, Elementary/High School/College/University Students, Business Owners, and Community Partners,
It is clear the Minister of Education is not listening to the ATA, teachers, school boards, & educational experts who have clearly said NO to this 2021 UCP Draft K-6 curriculum. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/non-confidence-alberta-teachers-1.6038125
THIS IS A CALL TO ACTION.
As such, it is now up to YOU to understand the issues and be loud & clear publicly about your perspectives about this draft curriculum. But you don't have to be an educational expert or invest a ton of time to know what is going on!
Here is a transparent, logical, and non-partisan process to learn about this curriculum, develop your own opinion, and express your views. Honestly, take 1 hour of your time to familiarize yourself with the the basics then form your own opinion.
1) Take a look at the curriculum comparison website. See how the non-partisan 2018 draft K-4 curriculum created by over 35,000 Albertans, the ATA, teachers, educational experts, and community partners compares to the 2021 UCP draft K-6 curriculum created by an unknown source and 12 UCP appointed advisors:
2) Take a look at what Alberta's educational experts are saying about the 2021 UCP draft K-6 curriculum:
3) Watch this overview of the curriculum development process (it will take you 13 minutes and 17 seconds). There are important links in the description of the video. (I've been told that grandparents appreciate the succinct overview in this video):
4) The Minister of Education is asking for "rich feedback." Have your say here:
5) Write your perspectives to your MLA, Minister of Education, Premier, and cc the leader of the opposition Rachel Notley and Education Critic Sarah Hoffman. Don't have time to write a letter? Check the files of this group (Albertans Reject the Curriculum FB group) or head over to the SOS website or Students Deserve Better to copy & paste other letters (please always give credit to the original author).
Share this post far and wide so that Albertans can make an educated and INFORMED opinion about this draft K-6 curriculum (and the upcoming draft Junior and Senior High curriculums that being created behind closed doors as we speak) that will impact HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN FOR YEARS TO COME.
Oh, and can you please reach out and let our teachers and school boards know that you care?
Dr. Angela Grace, PhD